This is my first Top Ten Tuesday post, each week The Broke and Bookish hosts a Top Ten Tuesday based on a chosen literary topic. This weeks topic is Top Ten Books I’ve Read So Far In 2013! In no particular order:
1. Angelfall(Penryn & the End of Days #1) = I have read my fair share of truly awful angel novels. I really wasn’t expecting much from this even though it had rave reviews. Also the fact that it is written by an indie author made me wary. I was expecting a plethora of spelling and grammar mistakes but luckily it turned out to be a great read, I read it in one sitting! You can read the rest of my review here.
2. Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices #3) =I only have two words to explain why this is one of my favourite reads of 2013…THE ENDING!
3. The Piper’s Son = Marchetta is just an amazing writer. If you haven’t read anything by her yet, you are really missing out! This novel resonated with me because of the raw and real emotion that Marchetta displayed. She wrote teenage boys like REAL teenage boys. Not the typical YA boyfriends, who are either completely perfect or badboys. She does it in a way that makes you fall in love with them, even when they are farting.
4. Shadow & Bone (The Grisha #1) =I was really surprised by this novel. I had never heard of Leigh Bardugo and read only a few reviews before it come in from my local library. I am glad I gave it a chance because it was action-packed and very clever, the main character Alina was very relatable and it was a perfect fantasy read for 2013!
5. The Sea of Tranquility =This was one of the first stand-alone novels I had read in a looong time but I wish it hadn’t ended! I actually had goosebumps while reading this. It was beautifully written and heartbreaking, I wish I could give Nastya a hug.
6. Opal (Lux #3) = This had a MAJOR cliffhanger at the end and I can’t wait till the next one comes out. Daemon was absolutely perfect in this book, just the right amount of his usual egotistical jerky-self with the protective, loving side that I’ve grown to love over the series.
7. The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines #3) = I was pleasantly surprised by this book! The first two books in this series didn’t really ‘wow’ me. I found the main character Sydney a bit too mousey but she really grew up in this book! Everything just fell into place and I can’t wait to read the next installment!
8. Jellicoe Road = When I started reading I had absolutely no idea what was going but I have yet to give Marchetta anything under 5 stars so I read on, and only after a few pages things fell into place and I dove right in – I didn’t finish reading until I was done and crying. I can’t say enough good things about Melina Marchetta!
9. Everbound (Everneath #2) = I was a bit worried where this series would go…what will Nikki do? Brodi Ashton is also really great at making you fall in love with both male characters, especially since I am not a total fan of love triangles.
10. Gone Girl =Yes I know this is not YA but it was such a good read I couldn’t leave it out! It was so strange and twisted, I loved it! haha My boyfriend’s mother actually bought it for me and we both love black humor so it was a perfect read. All the twists and turns kept me on the edge of my seating and guessing the whole time at what was going to happen next. A great and weird read!