Each week The Broke and Bookish hosts a Top Ten Tuesday based on a chosen literary topic. This week’s topic is Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2013! I am going to try to make a list of authors who debuted in 2013 but I will also add authors who are new to me but ones maybe you have read before. So in no particular order:
1. Leila Howland – I read Nantucket Blue back in September and it is Leila’s debut album. I thought the book was very well done, I really connected with all the characters and even though I was a bit late, a perfect breezy summer read. Nantucket Red is currently being written and I am very excited to see where this series goes!
2. April Genevieve Tucholke – This is another author whose debut novel I read this year. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea was a perfectly creepy gothic fantasy and I feel absolutely in love with all the characters. You can read my review here. I am really excited to see where this series goes as well, Between the Spark and the Burn is coming out in August 2014.
3. Katja Millay – The Sea of Tranquility was published in 2o12 but I did not get a chance to read it until February 2013. I cannot stress enough how much I loved this book! It is the first stand-alone novel I had read in a looong time but I wish it hadn’t ended! I actually had goosebumps while reading this. Unfortunately on Katja’s goodreads page there are no new novels posted and The Sea of Tranquility is really the only thing she has done. It was beautifully written and heartbreaking and I think Katja has some serious talent so keep your eyes open for any new publications by her, I know I am!
4. Jennifer Rush – her debut series called Altered was really fun to read. It is a sci-fi mystery thriller that I didn’t expect to like as much as I did but that characters were really compelling and I read the whole thing beginning to end in one sitting! The next novel Erased is coming out in January 2014 (eek only a month away!) and I can’t wait to see what happens next!
5. Kasie West – another debut author with Pivot Point. This novel was written in a really interesting style that I have never seen in YA before (although I am sure it exists somewhere…). The main male character in this novel is easily one of my favourites (along with Tucker from the Unearthly series). Kasie has two novels coming out in 2014, the second novel in the series called Split Second and a new stand-alone novel called On the Fence, which sounds pretty cute.
6. Leigh Bardugo – Shadow & Bone is Bardugo’s debut novel from 2012 which literally blew me away. The writing was impeccable and each and every characters was well crafted. The world building is also one of the best I have ever read, I actually could visualize the fantasy world that the main character Alina lived in. I literally cannot wait to read Siege and Storm!
7. Susan Ee – Her novel Angelfall was published in 2011 but the second book of the series, World After came out in November of this year, I haven’t even had a chance to read it! You can read my review for Angelfall here.
8. C.J Redwine – Defiance was C.J Redwine’s debut novel in 2012 but I didn’t get a chance to hear about it until 2013. I wasn’t completely impress with this novel, I found the world building to be really weak (although ‘Baalboden’ is a cool name for a town!) but I have heard that the second book of the series gets much, much better! So I will definitely be giving Redwine another chance in 2014!
9. Gina Rosati – I enjoyed Gina’s debut novel Auracle which was about astral projection, a subject I had never read before. Although some parts were predictable and characters were cliche, Gina’s writing is very smooth and makes you overlook any flaws. I am excited to see what she comes up with next!
10. Elizabeth Norris – Although the Unravelling series dates back to 2012, this year was the first time I got to read any of Norris’ work. This popular alien/fantasy series was fun to read and Norris has a new novel coming out in 2015 called When I Wake that is quoted as being “Winter’s Bone meets Boardwalk Empire”. Interesting!
Hope you enjoyed my list of new-ish authors! What are some of your favourite new and debuting authors of 2013?